Transformational leadership transforms employees to pursue organizational goals over self- interests. Transformational leaders encourage their employees to do exceptional things. Leaders excite passion and help their employees look beyond their own interest and look for the interest of the organization.
*Four key behaviors of Transformational Leadership are.
-Inspirational Motivation Using motivational quotes or stories to promote positive attitudes towards one group goal. It works as a energizer for works establishes a high standard for their employees to try to achieve and inspire to get to.
-Idealized Influence Transformational leaders inspire their co-workers by being consistent while trying to achieve the organizations goal. They have high ethical work rates and act as models and are also willing to make a sacrifice for the good of the organization.
-Individualized Consideration Leader encourage their co-workers to excel by giving them harder work and more responsibilities and one on one guidance on their work. Everyone is treated equal they do not forget about the little guys.
-Intellectual Stimulation These leaders are great communicator with their employees about strengths and weaknesses so every department has a new sense of purpose. Employees do not view problems as insurmountable; instead they view the probable as personal challenges that they need to overcome to help seek a creative solution.
*Implications of transformational leadership.
Research shows that transformational leadership yields several positive results. It’s associated with measures of organizational effectiveness. It measures of leadership effectiveness and employee job satisfaction. More employees’ talk to and work with their leaders and with their immediate work groups. Higher levels of intrinsic motivation, group cohesion, work engagement and setting of goals consistent with those of the leaders
Johnson & Johnson Seven Principles of Leadership Development
- It can improve results for both individual and groups The four types of transformational behavior just described to improve results for individuals for example job satisfaction, organizational commitment and performance.
- Can be used to train employees at any level Not only managers but employees can be trained to be more transactional and transformational.
- Leadership development is a key business strategy.
- Leadership excellence is a definable set of standards.
- People are responsible for their own development.
- Johnson & Johnson executives are accountable for developing leaders.
- Leaders are developed primarily on the job.
- People are an asset of the corporation; leadership development is a collaborative, corporation-wide process.
- Human resources are vital to the success of leadership development.
-Can be used by both ethical and unethical leaders Ethical transformational leaders help employees to enhance their self- concepts.
+Employ a code of ethics. All companies should create and have a clearly stated code of ethics.
+Choose the right people. Recruit, select and promote people who display ethical behavior.
+Make Performance expectations reflect employee treatment. Create performance standards for employees.
+Emphasize value of diversity. Train employees to value diversity.
+Reward high moral conduct. Identify reward and make a public praise for employees who deserve high moral conduct.